Things to know before you decide to be a fashion designer
Fashion designing as a career choice is never an easy path to tread on, and it is often not as glamorous as it is believed to be
It goes without saying that the fashion industry is highly dynamic and competitive. It has also emerged to be one of the most sought-after career choices of the contemporary era. However, if you truly desire to be a part of the fashion designing world, the following are some tips that must be taken very seriously-
- Think beyond glamour- fashion designing as a career choice is never an easy path to tread on, and it is often not as glamorous as it is believed to be. Beneath the glitzy exterior of the best fashion design schools, there goes a lot of hard work, stringent deadlines, last minute changes and sleepless nights. Therefore, such an environment requires absolute passion and commitment, along with self-motivation and dedication towards one’s creative goals.
- Reinvent yourself- the key mantra to make it big in the fashion designing world is constant innovation. Develop critical thinking, explore alternatives, and know how to communicate and translate your ideas into reality. It is also important to be aware of the dynamics of the global market and grab potential opportunities that it creates.
- Take inspiration from anything and everything- be original, be a storyteller: inspiration works in strange ways, it can come from anywhere. Be it your pet, your room, the music you listen to, any event, a poem, nature, people, and so on. For example, you can have a clothing collection inspired by fond memories you have of your grandma. After all, your creative vision and how you interpret it, make the difference.
- Be open to exploring options- the fashion world is not centred around designers alone. On the contrary, fashion design schools in India offer multiple career opportunities, ranging from a stylist and fashion brand PR to a publicist and marketing manager. Explore various options and find out what interests you the most. The Gurukul School of Fashion Design is one of the best fashion designing institute in India today and they have the infrastructure and the mentors who are always willing to give the students a thorough understanding of the fashion industry. The students would learn from the masters directly and get to know about their experiences, all the while working on multi-hued projects.
- Be a good observer- make sure you slow down at times, and observe the world around you: people, places, artwork, colours, structures, nature, etc. With sound observational skills, you will be more perceptive, which in turn, will translate in your work. So, be mindful of your surroundings and pay attention to every detail, and this should start right from the stage when you are a student in a designing school of fashion technology.
- Create a distinct identity of your own- if you think about it, every celebrated fashion designer is known for infusing a characteristic essence into his/her label, which is distinctly different from that of others. Someone is known for using quirky motifs, the other specializes in larger-than-life bridal wear, someone else is into bright colours, and so on. As a budding fashion designer, try to analyze your forte and discover a signature style that will eventually build your personal authentic brand while setting you apart from the rest.
- Be research-oriented- a career in fashion designing requires an inquisitive mind, curiosity, application of the findings in an effective manner, and so on. You can benefit a lot from many sources, including books, journals, visits, interaction with experts, and so on.